An Urgent Need Exists for More Effective Learning
Learning is a central human activity and has important implications for school, career, and life. It is the foundation for success in and enjoyment of life. Now consider this: in all of your years of attending school, did anyone ever teach you how to learn? Probably not.
If you’re like most students, you’re probably overwhelmed with information and, as a result, feel confused, unsure where to begin, and out of control. Simply hoping for the best by reading the material over and over again isn’t an effective strategy. It doesn’t have to be this way.
Concise Learning Method (CLM)
With CLM, you can regain control of your learning. CLM is a proven method that will make you a better learner and enable you to achieve better grades. It’s a visual, flexible, meaningful, and systematic approach to effective and efficient learning through the use of an active, cognitive, inquiry-based, and constructive process. CLM enables you to break free from passive and dull memorization.
CLM is based on the premise that learning is a multi-phase process, in which you meaningfully organize and connect key concepts through visual maps by critically thinking and asking key questions. Click here for the CLM summary diagram
The 5Ps of CLM
B. CLM contains 5 phases (preview, participate, process, practice, and produce) that break any subject matter into digestible parts, thereby making learning more manageable. Each subsequent phase reinforces and builds on the previous phase.
The 4 repeating steps within each P
C. Within each phase, 4 steps (identify key concepts, meaningfully organize and connect key concepts using a visual map, think critically, and ask key questions) continuously repeat, enabling you to meaningfully reconstruct information that you hear and read into a new creation (visual map), where someone else’s thinking now exists in your mind within your personal framework.
|D. Through this active, cognitive, and constructive learning process, you integrate new information with existing information, condensing and transforming it into personal and meaningful knowledge.|
Benefits Of CLM
The 5Ps — the five phases of learning — and the 4 steps within each of the 5Ps guide your thought processes as you’re learning. Together, they provide a visible, flexible, and systematic approach to cultivating:
- Content organization, connection, and integration into a visual map by recognizing different levels within the text (i.e., key concepts and supporting details).
- Increased capacity to receive information, process key information into knowledge, learn, and be able to apply what you’ve learned to exams and to generate new ideas.
- Better memory by having breaks between phases, giving your brain time to sort, connect, process, and rehearse information. The phase breaks also serve to increase interest and level of concentration.
- Critical thinking by organizing and connecting the information in a clear and meaningful way.
- Inquiry and problem solving, driven by critical thinking.
- Learning through active, cognitive, and constructive processes.
CLM: Your Way to a Higher Level of Learning & Success
Your success is up to you. When you do things the same way, your outcomes will be the same. If you want to improve your outcomes, you have to improve your actions. For success to come to you, both in college and in life, you must want it and take steps to pursue it.
CLM gives you a proven way of regaining control of your learning. When you put CLM into practice, you’ll see immediate and long-term results.